Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Dear Downtown Cortland Business Owners,

I’ve remembered something when I published my last post (I planned on mentioning this earlier, sorry). When I was writing the posts about the restaurant dilemma I had a hard time finding websites for the businesses. Besides The Blue Frog, I couldn’t find one restaurant in downtown Cortland that had a website. I’m a strong believer in technology and I think it’s absolutely absurd that any business would not have its own site. It’s not like it would cost money! This post goes out to you, Cortland business owner.

First off, take a look at The Blue Frog’s website. It’s a simple website that was made using the freewebs.com. You guessed it folks, freewebs.com is a free application that anyone can use to design, publish, and maintain a website. Also check out Google Page Creator which is a similar, maybe even superior, application (it is also free).

It’s hard to believe that any business owners don’t have the time or the know-how to create a website for themselves; creating one could only help! For those worried or intimidated by the idea of building one, let me assure you that it’s no harder than following some clear and simple directions.

This idea brings me back to one of my first posts (did everyone read The World Is Flat, yet?). The detail that downtown Cortland needs to integrate technology more into everyday processes. I understand, as I stated before, that maybe not everyone has daily access to the internet, and I also understand that there is a ridiculous fee to use the internet at the library, but I don’t think that there is any room for excuses at this point. Go to the library or the college (maybe you know a friend!) and spend an hour or two constructing a website. It will do wonders for your business (it definitely can’t hurt)! Heck, I’ll even help out if you ask nicely.

Also, while I was surfing through The Blue Frog’s site, I noticed that this business also created a MySpace page. And, low and behold, the number one friend of The Blue Frog’s was another downtown business, Ultimate Music. I know MySpace is a very controversial social networking site, but I bet if you asked the owner of this coffee shop if it helped she’d say yes. Maybe I’ll e-mail her; I can do this because there is an e-mail on the website!

Even if someone were to feel a little uncomfortable making a MySpace page (it’s still a good idea in my opinion), there’s no justification for not having a website. It’s free, it’s easy, and it’s extremely beneficial. The best part of having a website is that I, the almighty blogger, will also link to it—even extending the promotion of your business further. With all kidding aside, I’m sure we can all see the benefits now. Cheers.

--Ray

2 comments:

Mrs. Brenneck said...

Ray, I agree with you here; I posted on your restaurant blog. I think the problem is that most students will flock to places like Applebees because they know what to expect. Other restaurants may remain relatively unpatronized simply due to the fact that no one knows what to expect. Having a website helps when word of mouth just isn't enough.

Anonymous said...

Ray, I agree as well. When businesses have a Web site, not only can people go to that site to learn about them, but people can stumble across the site when searching Google or looking at another Web site.

With MySpace, businesses can create a site for free. What do they have to lose?