Tuesday, December 12, 2006

That's a Wrap



It is beginnging to look a lot like Christmas. It's also the end of the semester, which in my case means time for reflection. This semester was my last one taking classes. I will student teach in the Spring and then be officially done with Cortland. Well I'll never be done with Cortland. Even if I move away it will still always hold a special place in my heart. I attended SUNY Cortland for 7 years; during that time I met my fiance and realized my path in life. Over the past three years I've been studying to become an English teacher. It wasn't until last week, when we had our pre-student teaching meeting, that I finally felt ready to move on from student to teacher. I can't wait to have my own classroom. But one thing I've learned from taking English 506 (which allowed me to take part in this project and learn to blog) is that teaching is a never-ending learning process. English 506 or Computers and the Study of English has taught me volumes about how to incorporate technology applications like blogging into the classroom.

Reading through some older posts I saw that Christine from the Cortland Standard commented on one of Ray's posts. I had the opportunity of meeting Christine at a couple of the Cortland Downtown events held at the Beard Building. She is very nice person who shows enthusiasm for her job. I think it's interesting though that she said she was enjoying reading the blog. Christine is in her mid-20's like Ray and I, of course she's interested in the blog! Maybe we didn't do our jobs to advertise but I think we need to educate downtown Cortland and teach them what a blog is. The Cortland Standard could have their own blog, so many news shows have one now. Christine, if you're still reading, what would you say to writing a Cortland Standard blog? I'd surely read it!

Because of English 506, I now know how important technology is for today's society and most importantly the future of education. We see it everyday in PDA's, cell phones, laptops, and iPods- just to name a few. Teachers need to incorporate technology applications like blogs, wikis, and podcasts into their classrooms. If students see other blogs like this one it might encourage them to get involved in their community. I think it's important for school districts (as well as college campuses) to get involved with their communities and learn about technology. It's no longer the wave of the future- it's here, now! Here is a post from my English 506 blog. Enjoy and happy holidays!

Fondly,
Katie

2 comments:

Mr. Johnston said...

ho ho ho!

You and Ray jingle bell rock!

C

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! Now I'm making the connection between what you told me a couple of months ago and this blog. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

I think it would be wonderful if the Cortland Standard had a blog. I am a huge proponent of Web sites and blogs. It's such a great way to spark dialogue among community residents. I hope the Cortland Standard can improve its Web site and develop blogs, and I will do my best to push that!

You guys definitely serve as inspiration for companies, nonprofits and other organizations in the area. I congratulate you on your vision.