Thursday, November 09, 2006

So, What's Next?

Hi, All,

This is Ray Hedrick signing in again. Well, I’m back at The Blue Frog coffee shop. I decided that I would take a different seat today. I made this decision mostly because there is someone else sitting where I was last week, but, in all honesty, I was going to switch-it-up anyway. It’s approximately 2:10 PM, and in two hours I have another class (although this post might not be published until a later date as we are having some ‘technical difficulties’ with the website).

Anyway, when I first signed up to be a part of this blog, I figured that I would write a lot about the changes that I felt would be most beneficial to downtown Cortland. Before I had really pondered over what changes would need to be made, I thought that some of the recommendations that I would have made would have been such things as:

…redeveloping the Clocktower Building
…bringing in new, beautiful, businesses
…building a stage to have live concerts (integrating the college and the community)
…etcetera.

While I do feel that these are important steps that will, at some point, probably be made… I also feel that perhaps the aesthetic improvement of downtown Cortland isn’t as significant as I initially though. Let’s explore…

As I look outside I can view all of the old, superannuated buildings. I used to believe that if they were more modern looking, then more people would be attracted to them—encouraging more visits. Why? I don’t really know, to be honest. But, as I get to thinking about it, I actually don’t imagine that a change in appearance is what this town needs. No. It’s really pathetic that the only place that I can go to get wireless internet in this town is The Blue Frog. Maybe the modernization of the business on Main St. is the change in design that they need. Not a literal change in appearance, but a change in operations and logistics. Sure, The Downtown Deli has wired internet connections, but don’t you think that America should have moved past this? I sure do.

This point brings me to a heated debate. One that we are actually discussing in the class I will be attending in two hours. The class is called Computers and the Study of English. It’s a great class. The main focus of this course group is to help future educators realize that we are now in a ‘flat’ world. The term ‘flat world’ was introduced by Thomas L. Friedman in his book The World Is Flat. In this book Friedman explains, in various different methods, how America is falling behind in the great technological race, and how we, as a society, are in the middle of a great movement away from the traditional and into the technological.

I, myself, have become very passionate about this argument. It is with no doubt in my mind that Americans must become more in tune with technology as we are in risk of being surpassed. Did you know that there is a program that is allocating $100.00 laptops so that all children in Lebanon will have their own personal PC by the age of 9? Check it out: here. Every child in this third world country will have a computer, and I can only get wireless internet in one café on Main St!? This worries me. But, it also leaves room for great potential. Here’s my question for the week:

What if downtown Cortland were able to improve dramatically through an increase of usable technological features?

Wouldn’t this be beneficial to the town? I guess I don’t expect all people to have computers, or to be able to rent jet-packs to fly up the hill, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask that the internet become more available in a wider variety of places…

Small situations like this can tremendously improve the quality of our city, tremendously. Now I don’t want to pretend that I know how feasible this is, but I don’t think it would be too far-fetched? Is it? It’s almost coming to the point that we almost HAVE to make it work…

The Main Street 4 Point Approach to Downtown Revitalization:

:Design
:Promotion
:Economic Restructuring
:Organization

I do agree that these are of the utmost importance for the restoration of our beloved downtown area, but I also think that we would be able to add technological advances to each of the four approaches.

Let me warn you, the reader, that I am not 100% sure as to what the details of each of these specific approaches entail (as I did not design them), but I will do this as pertaining to the information I would expect each to involve.

I would expect the design aspect to deal with the aesthetic nature of downtown Cortland. So, how about doing something simple such as planting routers into each building; how about televisions mounted in lobbies; voice communication devices, automatic lights, and automatic doors that could be implemented as well. Like I said previously, I don’t know how feasible and likely it is that this could happen, but I think that we (Americans) are in danger of falling behind. There are thousands of things we could do! And, Cortland could be a good place to “set an example.” Long term planning is a set feature of the design aspect—and, if we are to be realistic, we shall realize that technology is coming—even though, in reality, it is here already!

I can cover the promotion aspect in two words: the internet. But, I know and I’m sure someone will call me out on the fact that very few people in this community have full access to the internet. One thing that we could do immediately is omit the ridiculous fee to use the internet at the city library. Besides reaching the people in the community—I’m sure the internet will help “us” reach new customers, investors, businesses, and visitors.

The economic restructuring of downtown Cortland can definitely be improved through technology as well. If we are to find “ways to expand to meet new opportunities and challenges from outlying development” (Cortland Downtown Partnership Pamphlet) we MUST use technology. This is the best and maybe the only way that we will be able to improve above and beyond the competition.

As for the organizational aspect… well what better way to organize and support ourselves than with technology?

I guess this is really all I have to say today, but I’m sure—as I realize how important technology is becoming—that this will be a reiterating theme throughout my blog. If you have any questions or comments I would love to hear them. I can be reached at Hedric86@cortland.edu. Until next time, folks… Cheers.

--RAY

No comments: