Monday, November 13, 2006

Katie's Introduction

Like Ray, I feel that it is important that I introduce myself. My name is Katie Loizides and I’m a graduate student in the MAT English program at Cortland. I graduated in 2003 with a Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies and a minor in Theater. I also have a Bachelor’s degree in English, which I received in 2005. After graduating in 2003, I moved back home to Bellport, LI (http://www.bellport.com/). I completed an internship with a local classic rock station and was offered a job in the promotions department with another neighboring station. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I didn’t want to wait around to climb the status ladder at any radio station. And I definitely didn’t want to sell office products for a place called Xtreme Promotions. But that’s post for a different day.

I was bored in my job as a counter waitress at the downtown coffee shop. I missed being involved in important events. I missed my fiancé Alex who was still up at Cortland. Although he changed his major several times, he decided on Geology and then the MAT Earth Science program. He suggested I come back to school for English (Cortland and most schools don’t have MAT programs in Communications or Theater) and then get my masters in teaching. So three years later, here I am. Since then I have gotten engaged, moved three times, and learned to love upstate New York.

As a naïve high school senior, I fell in love with Cortland’s campus. There was construction then much like there still is today. The second floor of Dowd was off limits and Clark Hall was being renovated. I didn’t quite know what I wanted to study but I did know I belonged on this campus. Old Main was and still is my favorite building. I can’t believe I’ve lived here on and off for seven years, I never thought I’d settle here!

As much as I miss summers on the beach and going wine tasting in the Hamptons I can’t imagine not being able to drive 20 minutes and see a breathtaking gorge and waterfall. If you’ve ever done it, driving on Long Island is not fun. One word—traffic. If you want to know where all the people are, they’re on the Long Island Expressway! That’s one of the reasons Alex and I decided to stay up here. There’s so much land up here. Except for when a Walgreen’s goes up right across from an Eckerd’s. When I look out of my window in the morning all I see is corn. And at night the sky sparkles with stars and goes on for miles.

It’s taken about seven years and I now feel like I belong here. Cortland has a way of growing on a person. The surrounding areas of Syracuse and Ithaca have helped. When giving campus tours as an undergraduate student, I used to talk to prospective students about how Cortland is centrally located. We have great cities and resources right within our reach. Skaneateles is one of the most beautiful areas I’ve been to in my life. But I digress…

I suppose I should talk about why I decided to become an English teacher. My Dad was a high school English and Drama teacher for over 30 years. He was dedicated and gave 100% every day and night. He worked long hours building plays and musicals from the ground up. His devotion to his students and his craft inspired me to want to do similar work. Did I mention my Mom was a teacher too? Many of friends’ parents were as well. I really couldn’t get away from education.

Since entering the MAT English program, I see how badly education needs me. It needs me and many other dedicated and devoted teachers. Today’s students are bored in school; they are not inspired to do work that matters to them. One of my goals for teaching is to get to know my students and discover what’s important in their lives.

I wouldn’t be writing this post if I didn’t believe technology was important for today’s students. Stay tuned for more musings on topics similar to these and also those related to revitalizing downtown Cortland.
- Katie

"The times they are a-changin’. "
-Bob Dylan

No comments: