Friday, November 17, 2006

Downtown's Needed Metamorphosis

I take for granted the most challenging aspect of being a blogger, which is creating material that will spark the interests of the intended audience. Without a doubt this is the most challenging part of writing in general.

I think I’m going to take a couple steps backwards (away from the restaurant reviews) and provide some what of a more analytical view as to some of the issues that continue to hold downtown Cortland from reaching its full potential. This could get interesting. Today’s topic is change.

Unfortunately, I’m not seeing the progress that is needed in Cortland. Katie writes in a previous post how she is pleased to be able to witness all of the change happening in Cortland at this time. She even writes how it “will surely bring more people to Cortland and keep younger people living in the area longer.” I agree with Katie in the fact that the change is good. Although, from what I’ve seen, it is far from where it needs to be.

Katie does bring up a tremendous point, though. The city of Cortland would benefit from people staying in the area longer. Well, then, where are they going to stay? I feel as if there are minimal housing opportunities in the downtown area (specifically on Main Street). As a student I’ve walked through the apartments located above the various businesses on Main Street; they are less than formidable.

I digress…

It’s been a while since I’ve been back “home” to where I grew up. But, last summer, I was SHOCKED to see how much work was being done on my little town. Looking back to my child hood, I remember there was nothing in Modena. It was a huge deal when they put a Stewart’s in the center of town. Now when I go home, I see hundreds of nice houses being built. There was even talk of putting an amusement park three miles from my house—right next to the karate dojo, the Hannaford’s, the Key Bank, and the new restaurant. Modena is constantly changing for the better. The quality of life in my little town has quadrupled before my eyes. My father’s house is worth three times than what he paid for it…

So why can’t Cortland do the same? The point is that I’m from a little no-name town in lower New York that doesn’t have the opportunities that I feel Cortland does have. I understand that there is indeed a lot of alteration happening here also, but nothing significant is truly changing. A couple of restaurants, some pizza place switches, and a new bar are the only changes that I recall happening since I’ve been in this city. With as beautiful of a set-up that we are blessed with (Main Street) there has to be ways to promote promising change.

There is good news though. With the implementation of the Downtown Cortland Partnership, I feel that our city is in safe hands. Rumors of a new Clocktower Building continue to raise my hopes. Let’s get a move on Cortland! Tell me what you want me to do.

Sure, it’s easy for me to sit here and type mercilessly while taking out all of my anxiety on the keyboard, but in reality we need recommendations. I see the problem. Now what am I (are we) going to do?

Part 1: For starters, instead of traveling to Syracuse and Ithaca to get a good meal… let’s check out what’s available in Cortland. For some reason, as I’ve come to discover (in this post) that most students are unfamiliar with the restaurants in Cortland. Why this is, I don’t know… so let’s change that. Let’s see what this town has to offer.

Part 2: As a community we could promote new businesses to come to Cortland. Where’s the downtown Cortland Steakhouse? I would love to see another dance club fill up the area that Escape used to occupy. Where’s the new housing for students and people who plan on a creating thier future here.

These are rough ideas that need to be explored more thoroughly. Thank Heaven’s for the Cortland Downtown Partnership… until next time, folks. Cheers.

--Ray

5 comments:

Christopherj said...

hello ray,
i attended cortland for a few years and its been a while since i have actually attended a class there but i do still visit. i have noticed that there is nothing new to notice, yeah a few bars have changed but that is honestly all i have seen since the time i left 2 years ago. good luck on getting some changes to take place in cortland, it is truly a fun place to be

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Christine, and I am a reporter at the Cortland Standard. I really enjoy your blog and hope you keep it up. Cortland needs bloggers, I think!

Anonymous said...

I meant "more bloggers."

rayhedrick said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the blog! Thanks for commenting!

Sarah said...

Perhaps potential investors need to be actively sought out to revitalize downtown Cortland. Could there be such a thing as a downtown Cortland sales force?

What do downtown restaurants do in terms of promoting themselves on campus? It seems like depending on the restaurant, they could target students looking for good food at a reasonable (or just plain cheap) price. Other restaurants could promote themselves more heavily for Parents' Weekend or graduation.

Just some thoughts...